HomeCryptoNewsCompaniesInvestment Giant BlackRock Launches Blockchain ETF in Europe

Investment Giant BlackRock Launches Blockchain ETF in Europe

BlackRock, world’s largest asset manager, has introduced a new exchange traded fund (ETF) in the European market allowing customers to gain exposure to companies in the blockchain sector.

Cryptocurrencies have continued to descend sharply amid the prevailing market rout. Despite the downturn, digital asset enthusiasts have more investment options than ever before as the list of Bitcoin (BTC) and other cryptocurrency exchange-traded funds (ETFs) continue to rise. As the adoption of blockchain technology increases in both public and private sectors, so does the investment options.

A New ETF Targeting Blockchain Companies

Investment Giant BlackRock Launches Blockchain ETF in Europe

In another push to bolster its presence in the crypto industry, investment behemoth, BlackRock has announced the new blockchain ETF titled, “iShares Blockchain Technology UCITS ETF (BLKC)”. The new offering will enable European investors to gain exposure to companies using blockchain and cryptocurrency technology. BLKC will mirror the NYSE FactSet Global Blockchain Technologies Capped Index, paving the future of blockchain technology.

As per the announcement, the fund includes 35 global companies with 75% exposure to companies that consists of blockchain companies such as miners and exchanges. Meanwhile, the other 25% are companies that support the blockchain ecosystem including payments and semiconductor companies. However, BlackRock specified that BLKC does not directly invest in cryptocurrencies. 

Omar Moufti, product strategist for thematic and sector ETFs at BlackRock, explained enthusiastically that the new ETF will allow BlackRock clients to engage with global companies that are at the forefront of the emerging blockchain ecosystem. He added,

“We believe digital assets and blockchain technologies are going to become increasingly relevant for our clients as use cases develop in scope, scale and complexity. The continued proliferation of blockchain technology underscores its potential across many industries.”

BlackRock’s Growing Presence In Crypto

Investment Giant BlackRock Launches Blockchain ETF in Europe

Recently, BlackRock partnered with crypto exchange Coinbase to provide institutional clients of Aladdin, BlackRock’s end-to-end investment management platform, with direct access to crypto, starting with Bitcoin (BTC). Last month, BlackRock, announced a new private spot Bitcoin (BTC) trust for U.S. institutional investors.

Earlier this year, Larry Flink, CEO of BlackRock, revealed that BlackRock clients have been showing “increasing interest” in digital currencies, including stablecoins and blockchains in the recent months. He also explained that a global digital payment system can enhance the settlement of international transactions while reducing the risk of money laundering and corruption. Flink stated,

“Digital currencies can also help bring down costs of cross-border payments, for example when expatriate workers send earnings back to their families.”

subhasish
subhasish
Subhasish is interested in all things crypto and finance. He switched from marketing to become a writer driven by the need to make sense of the dynamic market. He primarily focuses on on-chain data of Bitcoin, Ethereum, and the macroeconomic effects of crypto. Rock n’ Roll flows through these veins.
- Advertisment -
# NamePrice